Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Not a whole lot to report-which for me is a grand thing!! Im learning a lot about my limits and what I can and cant handle. I have had to learn that just because im feeling better doesnt mean that I can go at it full force like nothing happened, or I will dearly pay for it. Take last night for example. I did laundry, I hung itup, I cleaned and picked up and did homework and helped make dinner-you know, all the things I usually do as a mom and housewife. Right after dinner was in the oven, I started feeling that good ol nausous feeling that has become such a dear friend of mine. I all of a sudden couldnt stand. I went and layed down thinking it would go away-not so lucky. I was so frusterated because I had some serious plans last night. First was an enrichment activity and then I was meeting some friends at Nelsons and you dont bail out on Nelsons. I started having some major stomach pain and i felt that I could throw up at any minute-I think I had overdone it. At least I know now what puts me over the edge and I need to just take more time to rest. Its hard to re-program your mind into thinking its ok to rest during the day-there is a lot that I have to re-program. Im a work in progress.
On Monday night, I went to the ER because I felt like I was being choked. Man, that "cancer card' is nice when it comes to having to wait a long time to be seen. They took me right back and it was actually a quick visit where Emergency rooms are concerned. It turns out I was just dehydrated. I had low blood pressure and my esphogus was irritated. Strange side effects these poisions have. After an IV, some anti-nausea medicine and some nasty tasting sick juice, I left feeling soooo much better. Its amazing what liquid does to your body. I guess I need to drink more. whoops
Today I waited for 45 minutes to get some blood drawn and after that, i couldnt wait anymore because I had another appointment. I had even made an appointment so I wouldnt have to wait-they forgot about me amongst the hundreds that were waiting to be seen-so I said I would come back after my scan. I then went in for my MUGA scan. I have been having some heart flutters, so this was a scan that I couldnt put off. I went and just paid cash for it. I know it will be worth it to have some piece of mind that my heart is tip top. I will sort it out with the insurance later. I guess im still a little dehydrated because they could not find a vein to draw any blood from. They poked me like 4 times before they found one in my wrist. I can only use my right arm and it is pretty much used up. For this scan, they take blood and then mix it with some radio active stuff and let it mix for like 40 minutes, then they inject it right back in and take pictures of my heart to make sure its working properly. I should get the results in a couple days. After that I headed back to the lab to get more blood taken. They took me right back-thank goodness or I might have made a scene. They couldnt find a vein either. They poked and wiggled and holy crap it hurt. She finally used the same vein they had used earlier. Did you know that if you poke the same vein over and over again, it BURNS. It took a lot to not scream at her. Its not her fault. But no more pokes until next week-its time for my arm to have a break.
Thats all for today!!

9 comments:

Joni said...

I commend you for not fainting! I'm not above that when the needles in the veins become a little much!

Mary Taylor said...

Wow! You have been through a lot since I've seen you last! What a trooper you are :) Anyway, we should meet at a park one night and we'll bring Daisy so your kids can play with her. Let me know what works best for you.

Cassie and Chad said...

Wow just think you now have a legitimate excuse to NOT do laundry! I am sure it's not one you would wish for. Hey my dad got super dehydrated with the chemo and now carries a big water cup with a lid on it every where he goes. It has helped him alot. Shelly you sound so strong despite all of the set backs, I hate that your going through this. Still praying for you!!!

The Dunford Family said...

I think that would be the hardest thing, trying to learn new limitations. As moms, we can't afford to have limitations! I am glad that you started feeling better finally and that you were able to come last night! I had so much fun seeing you and laughing at old times! We really need to get together and hang out for lunch or get outside while it's nice, to the park and let the kids play!

Nancy said...

LAst night was fun. However I could tell you weren't feeling so hot cause you didn't even finish your concrete. :) By the way you looked awesome last night. When your up to again let do something like last night agian. Especially the part with food. Love ya

Jod Jas Curtis said...

Hi, I just found out about this Craziness in your life! You are one strong chic & have an Awesome Family (support) you are in my prayers. Hang in there....
lots of loves

Jennifer said...

Shelly--we have been praying for you and your family! I have some zofran left over from my pregnancy--I go in for a c-section in nine and a half hours, if you can believe it. It is sitting in my fridge and I would love to give it away. Let me know if you are interested. There is a link to my blog on Julie Spilsbury's blog, and leave a comment and I will get it to you. I have about 80 pills. We know miracles are possible and are praying for one for you.

Kenyon said...

I havent looked at blogs in a very long time and I am shocked and sad reading your blog today. You will be on my mind and in our family prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hey you! So glad to read about Nelson's! Wow that brought back some fun memories! I'd have done anything to be there hanging out with ya! Have you asked or looked into Arterial lines or Picc Lines? They last a heck of alot longer than our little veins. They can only handle so much before they blow. Check into it and let me know. There are quite a few ways to deliver the chemo and they will work for blood draws as well. Take care and keep being STRONG!!! You rest too... the laundry can wait :) HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to you all! Love ya Shell! Amers