Friday, January 30, 2009

Good News!

FINALLY...some good news!! My scan came back CLEAN!! YEA!! We are so excited to know that it hasnt spread. It is contained to the left breast only. That is such good news. Although, they did find that it is in more lymph nodes in the chest and farther back in the chest than they thought-its pretty much as bad as it can get before it spreads. Its called stage 3 metastatic cancer. I am also HER2 positive. All that means is its really aggressive. The HER2 means that I have too much protein and it causes the cells to grow faster. I am so lucky that this was caught just in time. I know that this can be killed and cut out. Its such a good feeling just to know what we are dealing with. We are still waiting on the genetic test-that may take another week or so. So now since all the tests are done, its time to move on with treatment. Dr. C wants to do Chemo first. I have so many tumors and they are all over the place so they want to shrink them first to reduce the chance of spreading cancer cells during surgery. I will be doing a combo of 3 different drugs-they call it TAC. I will for sure lose my hair. I was really holding on to hope that the drugs I would be given wouldnt cause me to lose my hair-but the doctor pretty much squashed that. I was able to see the chemo room and meet the nurses and go through the whole process. I am waiting for the scheduling lady to call and let me know what day I will start, but it should be sometime next week. I will do it on the same day everytime. It will be once every 3 weeks for 6 cycles-so like 18 weeks. The day after each treatment, i will go back in for a shot of something called Neulasta-this is to boost my white blood cell count higher because one of the drugs during chemo causes the cell count to basically disapear. Before each treatment, I will have to do someting called a MUGA scan. Its a scan that will look at my heart to make sure that the drugs arent damaging my heart. I will have to do a blood draw every week to check my blood cell counts to make sure they are doing what they are supposed to. I also have to get a shot once a week for the next YEAR called Herceptin-this is to help those cancer cells that are fuled by the large amounts of protein to stop growing-its kinda like a helper to the chemo. After all the chemo, I will have a masectomy, then reconstruction and then radiation. There is so much information and so much to take in-its all a bit much. They went over the side effects and all the meanings and all these big names-its crazy. I think its going to take some time to all really set in. But...I have one last weekend of being chemo free and im going to enjoy it. Im gonna hang out, watch the Cards kick some bootay, and just relax and enjoy my hair while I have it. Go Cards!!

14 comments:

Burnside Family said...

Shelly I am so happy to hear that your scan was clean!!! YEAH!! I have been thinking about you and your family a lot and you guys are in our prayers. Take care and enjoy your weekend.
Julie

Unknown said...

shelly, i love the way you take the good news with the bad, without forgetting the good. you are constantly in our prayers!

Have a kick-butt weekend!

Bonnie Hynes said...

you are amazing! I know you'll be fine...we are all rooting for you (and the cardinals too...wink wink)

Mary Taylor said...

This blog is a great idea! I saw a cute breast cancer background on thecutestblogontheblock.com website under "Pink" it's perfect for this new blog :) Anyway, I had fun at the zoo with you guys today. You have the best attitude ever I love it! GO CARDS!!! Talk to you soon :)

Full House said...

You are so one of my favorites. I love that you still have such a sense of humor and that you say bootay & that your going to kicked this cancers trash & stuff:-) I really hope you enjoy this weekend too. Chemo not fun!!

I like that the writing on this blog is in pink.

Kylie said...

YEA YEA YEA for a clean scan!! Though you are definitely going to be going through A LOT this next year--I am SO glad that you were able to come home so that you could have family support during all this--could you imagine doing it with them not being so close by!?

Cassie and Chad said...

You have a great attitude! I am sure that that is not always easy to have. Enjoy your weekend! Just think of all of the cute scarfs you can wear around your head, seriously there are some cute ones out there! You are an inspiration to many woman out here in computer land. Good luck with all you have coming up oh and congratulations on a clean scan!

The Dunford Family said...

Shelly, you are so strong and you have so many wonderful fam members and friends who love you so much! I'm so grateful it hasn't spread! Life without hair..that sucks, but I was thinking...summer is coming up and I HATE doing my hair here in AZ in the summertime, esp blow drying it! There are so many times I think, I'll just shave it off! So, I guess theres always a way to look at the bright side right! If you need ANYTHING you can reach me at dunfordfive@yahoo.com and I can give you my phone#. Even if you want to meet up during your last party week! I'd love to see you!
Take care! ROCK ON! Remember you're AWESOME and that your LOVED!
all my love,
Kristin

Rachel Cunningham said...

Such a relief! I was so nervous about it spreading. I fasted for you today and I will praying all week as you start your treatment. Do you think you'll be up for Book Club? Too bad about the Cards...that was an awesome game and they came so close!! It was fun to see them hit the big time. Good luck this week!!! If you have a few free days before you start, let's get together with the kids and hang out.

Jenny said...

Shelly,
I'm so happy to hear the good news! We would love to see you guys! Call when you can. Steve and I fasted for you today. Even Sadie fasted for you. I thought it was so sweet. Just remember BALD IS BEAUTIFUL! ;) And make Bill shave his head to.

Mike and Deb said...

I love the idea of making Bill shave his head too, that is a Fab idea! You do have the best attitude. We are praying for you everytime we pray and I keep thinking a lot about you and how positive you are. Maddy prays for you everyday too. She sure loves her aunt Shelly. You WILL kick this! You are an inspiration. Just keep laughing, let yourself cry and then laugh some more.

Charisse said...

I am so impressed with your courage and strength. It's good to hear that your scan came back clean. I love that you started this blog to record your thoughts and feelings. I cry every time I read your posts. I know you will be facing a lot this year and we will keep you and the family in our prayers.

Liz Orona said...

Hey Shelly:

You are definitely in our prayers! So glad that you have such a great attitude about this trial you've been given. I don't know if it's the same doc but my mom went to Dr. Marvin Chassin and absolutely loved him. She has survived 3 bouts of cancer between the ages of 60-70. She also had an amazing attitude towards beating it, so I know you will be able to beat it as well. She also had it in her lymphs and had mastectomies and radiation. Please let me know if I can help in any way. You can email me @ 6oronas@gmail.com.

A. Goodie said...

Yea for no spreading! You've been in our prayers so much! Good luck w/ the trmt this week and hopefully we'll see you on Thurs night! Call me if you want a ride? Clint also wants to get ahold of Bill, so if you have a minute text or e-mail me his number! Thanks, we love you guys!